What reports do I need before selling my home in the ACT?

In the ACT it is mandatory that a vendor obtains the following reports for the sale of a freestanding dwelling (Class B Property):

  • Building Report
  • Pest Report
  • Compliance Report
  • Energy Efficiency Report

We’ve packaged these reports together for you, so you only need to deal with one company. To make things even easier, we also send the consolidated report directly to both your solicitor and real estate agent upon completion.

How long will it take to receive my report?

Under normal circumstances, you will receive the property report the following business day, provided that the Building File has been received from the ACT Government. Depending on the package you have chosen, you may need to arrange payment before we can release the report.

How long is the report valid for?

A Seller’s package is valid for up to 6 months from the date of inspection, provided the property is listed for sale within 3 months. If the property is not listed within 3 months of the inspection, the vendor is then legally obligated to arrange another inspection.

Please note that this only applies to Sellers’ Packages, not Energy Efficiency Reports.

I am in the process of selling a unit; do I still need all the reports?

No, for the sale of a unit in the ACT (Class A Property), you will only require an Energy Efficiency Report. If you’re unsure what category your dwelling is, please contact us. We’ll be happy to do this research on your behalf.

How long does an inspection take?

Depending on the house size and the defects found, it usually takes around 1–2 hours for an inspection on a free-standing home. If you only require an Energy Efficiency Report, you can expect us to be in and out in 30 minutes.

If there are defects noted in the report, can I fix them and request that they’re removed from the report?

By law, we can’t amend the original report. However, we can provide an addendum at no extra cost.

If the report mentions minor defects that have been rectified, we can revisit your property, inspect the work undertaken and write an addendum to the original report before being re-issued. This process will include attaching the receipt as proof that these works have been completed and the original defects are no longer an issue.

I’m in the process of purchasing a free-standing dwelling in the ACT that has already been occupied, should I organise an inspection?

In the ACT, it is the vendor’s responsibility to engage a building inspection company to complete the necessary reports required to list the property for sale. If you are unsure whether an inspection has already been undertaken, discuss with the seller or real estate agent.

I have some questions about a report that has been prepared by ACT Property Inspections. Is there anyone I can talk to about it?

Contact us today and the team will arrange for the inspector to reach out and help answer any questions you might have on the property report that has been prepared. We understand that at times you might be on a short timeframe, so we will ensure your enquiry is put at the top of our list!

I’m in the process of purchasing a property in NSW, which reports should I request to be completed?

If you’re unsure what reports would be beneficial to you, give our friendly team a call and we will guide you through your options so you can make an informed decision.

Get in touch

We’re here and ready to help, so reach out today.

Contact us